Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Nice to Meet You...

So now it’s on to some planning details. I’ve accumulated some vendors and gathered enough ideas to begin piecing this thing together. I learned from all of these hilariously obsessive and girly websites that weddings require a “theme,” and specific colors. This is what the internet does to people like me: you start off as a rather laid back, whatever goes kind of gal, and then you discover all of these fantastic details you can obsess over. Then you start obsessing until the people close to you start asking some questions. You realize what the hell happened and have a good laugh about it. Rinse, repeat. This is the fine line between interest and insanity that is the ‘bridal experience.’











Aren’t those some pretty pictures? I didn’t take those pictures, but kudos to whoever did, and please don’t sue me for borrowing them for a hot second. This decision on colors was easy, these are colors I’m obsessed with in my everyday life: deep plums, lavenders, creams, antique golds, bright greens, chocolate browns, even black! 
The future Mr. isn’t crazy about these colors, but I think he’s glad it’s not hot pink or something. He HATES the color brown, says it reminds him of a certain, um, bodily function. So I’m trying to keep that to a minimum and in very dark shades. I guess my ‘themes’ are rustic, vintage, and dreamy. Wait, is a rustic vintage dream a theme? Oh well, I tried. Lots of purple, lots of candles, lots of old or found objects.

Many of my design decisions have been made by availability and necessity. It is necessary that I decorate for the obscenely low amount of $275, this includes favors and stationary as well. So if it is available for the right price, I find a way to make it work.
 If there is one piece of advice I could give a diy bride it would be: make a list for every major part of your wedding. Make spreadsheets for decorations, vendors, guest list, big day timeline... On my supply and vendor lists I have what I'd like to spend as well as what I actually spend. I update them every time I buy something or hire someone. This method can help keep you on budget and from going insane, I promise. Also get a binder, I keep all of my vendor contracts, budget sheets, idea sketches, receipts and store coupons in mine. This also will keep you from going crazy.   Don't let people make you feel weird for being so organized, they'd probably make you feel weirder if you went nuts.



Next up-how to save money on necessities.


No comments:

Post a Comment