Tuesday, October 27, 2009

DIY-Lacey Lanterns

I'm really still at the collecting stage, just hording things that I find for a good price. One thing I have started are the ‘lanterns,’ which consist of cylinder vases wrapped in lace. It was a cheap way to get the look I wanted, and hopefully some other bride will want to use them after me.  These will be my centerpieces, there will be two per guest table, and one for our sweetheart table.

All you need for this project is a clean cylinder vase, any ribbon or trim that strikes your fancy, scissors and floral/glass glue.  I found floral glue at Michaels, it's in the aisle with all the vase filler, floral foam and flower picks.  It is a green tube and it is specifically for glass and floral related materials.  I haven't tried it on floral foam but I will have the opportunity soon. 

I start by test wrapping the ribbon wherever I'm going to put it on the vase, and then cutting the piece leaving about 1/4" of overlap.  These vases are not perfect, and I learned the hard way not to cut a bunch of identical pieces of ribbon because they will not all work.  Start with your vase laying on it's side with the ribbon under it, and a piece of paper or something under everything to protect whatever surface you are working on. 



Pick up one end of ribbon and apply some glue, not too much or it will spooge out and stick to your fingers. 

Press down lightly on the glass and hold for 30 seconds until the glue is firmed up. 


Roll the vase over so that the glued spot is underneath and apply another line of glue on the ribbon 3-4 inches from the initial glued spot. 


Pull the ribbon tight against vase (but don't stretch it) and press down on the second glue spot.  Roll again so the second glued spot is underneath the vase and continue on until you reach the end.  This glue dries clear and pretty quick which makes the whole process easier. 

Thin I tie a plum colored skinny ribbon in between the top two pieces of lace for some color, this is a great opportunity to work in your colors for very little money. 

If I could do it all over again I would have tried harder to find a nice dark brown lace for a somewhat less girly look.  I couldn't find any at all, only black, but I think even that would look less "wedding".  What do you think?  Is too girly always a bad thing?




17 Lacey Lanterns Price Breakdown:
     17 10" cylinder vases = $20 (cheaper if you use Dollar Tree)
     14 yards lace ribbon = $4.25
     5 yards plum ribbon = $0.50
     1 tube floral glue = $3
     17 pillar candles = $17 (found at Dollar Tree)

Total = 44.75
$2.63 per lantern
    


No comments:

Post a Comment